Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What’s with Okra?

I know some of you don’t eat okra, not because it’s gooey and yucky and impersonates your saliva, but because you are not used of eating it. Parents would insist their kids to eat veggies because it is good for health. I used to remember my mother who gives us a story about veggies to convince us to eat it. In fact, it was successful because no matter how I don’t like some veggies, later on after convincing us about that veggie story, we are already eating it.

Simple Boiled Lady Finger
okra


Before, I used to dislike squash and capsicum when I was young. But my mother influenced us siblings to eat it and it was the way how my mother prepares the veggies, shape them in cut decoration until we finally give in. I don’t have issues with okra and bitter gourd; I like them even when I was a kid.

So going back to okra, well you can do a lot of great recipes using okra with other veggies. What I just did was boil them and dip them into different sauces like chili garlic sauce, hoisin sauce or any shrimp paste sauce. If you don’t like then you can just use a simple fish sauce.

Okra or Lady Finger contains folic acid, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium. It also has Vitamin A and Vitamin C. They say that okra is good for asthma because it has anti inflammatory effect to our lungs. It also has anti oxidant content to help fight cancer. If you have problems with your bowel movements, okra is also good to eat. It also prevents diabetes because it normalizes the blood sugar and cholesterol level. It helps cure pimples, not putting it straight to your face, what I mean is when you intake the veggie.

There are lots of health benefits we can get from okra so I really suggest that as early as possible, influence your kids to eat veggies such as okra because it has a lot of nutritional benefits.

4 comments:

delle said...

I love okra! I love dipping it in calamansi soy sauce or fish sauce. It's just so yummy!

Thanks for sharing!
Lovelots,
www.ronadelle.blogspot.com
www.ronareviews.blogspot.com

w0rkingAth0mE said...

i enjoy eating okra with soy sauce and calamansi =)

swirlyagelessmind said...

i only started eating okra when i found a recipe for it in the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. anyway, it's hard to find cornmeal here so i just cook sliced okra in olive oil and season them with salt and pepper...sure beats popcorn!:)
love your post, thanks!

Strawberrychocodahi said...

Thanks ronadelle, workingathome and swirlyagelessmind for dropping by! Following you all on GFC.. God bless.

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email