Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sautéed Bitter gourd with beef and egg

I know what will be your reaction, yucks! Most of us don’t like bitter gourd obviously because it was bitter. I don’t even push hubby to try it since he was not used of eating bitter gourd. I do know why I like this recipe but this has something to do with influence.

Our parents brought us up to eat veggies and that includes bitter gourd. I used to remember my grandmother who cooks this veggie with tofu and pork while my mom sauté it with chicken and sotanghon (bean thread noodle). I also like bitter gourd in braised beef and sometimes we just cook it with an egg. I also like Pinakbet (Ilokano dish) which includes bitter gourd.

So during my childhood days, I don’t have any problem eating bitter gourd and that is why it is important for me to influence my children (to-be) to eat veggies and not to be choosy in food. I have learned that convincing your kid would also help aside from telling them those stories about how nutritious the food they eat. I also remember how my mom says she likes this veggie and for us kids, we do like to imitate our parents and also like what they like. Sautéing is the easiest thing to do with this recipe although I just included egg and beef bouillon cube. Here is the recipe for Sautéed Bitter gourd with beef and egg:

Ingredients:

Medium size bitter gourd
1 medium size onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 beef bouillon cube
Soya sauce
Salt
Ground black pepper
Water
Oil
1 egg

Preparation/ Method on How to Cook Sautéed Bitter gourd with beef and egg:


Bitter gourd anyone?
bitter gourd,ampalaya





Step 1: Wash the bitter gourd in running water. Cut it in half lengthwise and remove the seeds by using a spoon and shovel it off. Cut the bitter gourd looking like half ring, not too thick and not too thin.

Step 2: On a heated pan, put oil and once your oil is hot, you can now sauté garlic and then onions. Put some salt to cook your onions faster. After this you can now put the beef bouillon cube, stir well to blend with your garlic and onions and now you can put the bitter gourd.

Step 3: Stir the bitter gourd with the sautéed garlic and onions with beef bouillon and put soya sauce for about 2-3 tbsp. and then add some water 4 tbsp. only, not too much water since this veggie will also produce water.

Step 4: Put the flame on medium heat and wait for 3 minutes and sprinkle some ground black pepper. If you think the taste is enough, don’t add more salt; else if it is too salty for you just add some tablespoons of water but not too much water. Again, do not overcook your veggie. The last is crack an egg and stir it well together with the bitter gourd. Stir it properly and make sure that the egg is cooked well (not gooey) before you put the stove off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email