Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bitter Gourd Sauteed with Egg

Bitter gourd or bitter melon (ampalaya in Tagalog) is one of the most less like veggies and kids even hate it. I cannot blame them because it is really bitter but it has good nutritional values and it is also good in our body particularly our blood.

I do like bitter gourd ever since I was a kid. My grandmother and my mother always prepare this dish wonderfully and I really do like how they prepare it. Sometimes my grandma used to saute it with sotanghon (bean thread noodle) and sometimes my mom would include bitter gourd with beef. But today what I wanted to share with you is a simple recipe which will take you only 10-15 minutes of cooking. Here are the following ingredients.

Ingredients:
2 tsp. oil
1 egg (beat the egg)
1 tomato (sliced in small cubes)
1 green chili
medium sized onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
a pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste

Instruction:
First you need to heat the oil in a pan and then saute your green chili with garlic and once your garlic is ready place the onion and put enough salt to cook the onion faster. After this you need to put the turmeric powder and then add your tomato. Once you see the tomatoes already mushy, put the beaten egg and set this aside.

For sauteed Bitter gourd:
2 tbsp. oil
1 medium size bitter gourd (already chopped)
medium sized onion
pinch of cumin powder
pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste
ground black pepper (to taste)

Instruction:


Heat the oil and put the cumin powder and onion. Put some salt to your onion so that it can cook the onion faster. Then put the turmeric powder and once the color was already blended in, put the bitter gourd. Please do not add water, keep the flame on a slow to medium heat to cook the veggie. But if you wanted some sauce, just put two tablespoons of water to your bitter gourd. If the veggie is half cooked, you can now put the sauteed egg you set aside earlier. Simmer for 2 more minutes and then add some ground black pepper and some more salt depending on your taste. By the way, you can put soy sauce for this recipe just in case you don't like a plain salt for the taste. But just don't overcook your veggie.


Here is the Sample Photo of the Bitter gourd that I have cooked
bittermelon



I have my chappati or roti on the side of the Bitter Gourd

bittergourd



See how still green my bitter gourd is? Just don't over cook when preparing a vegetable meal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email